Friday, November 5, 2010

unexpected

Stephen Morris
Today was a day with no specific appointments, so I tried to do some reading up on manuals and documents sent my way. The door bell rang, and the method of ringing was recognized, so I knew it was one of my competitor candidates from the recent election. Instead of 'ding dong' it rings dinga-dinga-dinga-dong, to get our attention. This was his 3rd or 4th visit since the election, and he wanted to let me know of the progress he's making on securing signatures on his petition for phyto-remediation for the brownfield site in our area.

I have tried to advise him to restructure the form so it will be recognized as a petition more easily, and so that the work of confirming validity of signatures would easily follow from those to whom he hopes to present it. He's very dedicated to this cause - pleasant and persistent in his approach. He informed me that he has found it easier to get signatures on this petition than it had been for him to secure committed votes during the recent election.

landlord-tenant issue
Elfrieda and I spoke about a case we had investigated yesterday, and will have to follow-up on Monday. A woman constituent trying to deal with an uncooperative tenant in one of their buildings.

Errands
We later went on some errands, including shopping. In one of the stores had a chance to chat with Sue Gamble (Expositor) and her husband, Rick, who used to be a reporter for TV 13 in Kitchener.

RTO transition
Gord Osmond, the new president of RTO Brant District 40 sent an e-mail to advise that he had recruited someone to take on my current volunteer role as District Health Rep for the insurance plan. I was pleased with how quickly he had found a replacement; I will work with her informally until she is comfortable with the role.

Tomorrow
We are off to Waterford tomorrow for the induction ceremony at the new Wall of Distinction at Waterford DHS, our alma mater.

Reflection
By the end of the day, I had completed a complete review of the manual and documents sent by the city clerk. I also had a chance to review the poll by poll results sent to me by the returning officer at City Hall. There were no big surprises, but I can see why some who did not win would be dissappointed, because the result was quite close, and varied from area to area. All I can say it's good that I followed the strategy that I did, because it worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment