Tuesday, November 2, 2010

councillor-elect, pleasant busy work

Today I met with 2 of the city staff recommended by our city clerk in that memo the media have reported on. In the morning I went to the City Clerk's area and met with my contact, who explained her role in assisting councillors find the right path and the best people to follow up on a question or concern of residents. She was very professional and quite helpful, but she left me with a huge manual to read - all about being a Brantford city councillor in the 21st century.

In the afternoon I went to see the head of the IT department - in the old PUC building across the way. She explained the ins and outs of the technical options councillors can consider in preparing to set up the best way to keep in touch with one another and all the other key people out there.

She reminded me of a past connection I had not picked up on. Elfrieda and I had known her parents some time ago, and we reminisced about for a short time. On the way out she showed me the beautiful room where the PUC had held its meetings in the past. That sure brought back a few very pleasant memories!

The next stop was at Coffee Culture, where, in pleasant surroundings, I was able to exchange pleasantries and a few ideas with Councillor Dan McCreary. During our time there, the city manager entered and joined us for a moment or two. Dan McCreary's perspective was most interesting and helpful - especially for me, a guy who hasn't been on council for some decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment